Please answer three of the four questions below, in a chunky paragraph apiece.
1. Pick ONE of the following quotations about the writing process that you respond to strongly, either in agreement or disagreement. Explain how the quotation does or does not relate to your writing this semester. Make specific mention of one or more of your essays written for this class or writing assignments for other classes.
- “All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.”
- —F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Cut these words and they would bleed.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it’s the only way you can get anything really good.” —William Faulkner
- “My goal in everything I write is simplicity. I’m a demon on the subject of revision. I revise, revise, revise, until every word is the one I want.” —Ben Lucien Burman
- E.“To write well it is first necessary to have something to say.” —Stephen Leacock
- “We do not write in order to be understood, we write in order to understand.” —C. Day Lewis
- “My working habits are simple: long periods of thinking, short periods of writing.” —Ernest Hemingway
- “The more a man writes, the more he can write.” —William Hazlitt
2. Thinking back over the essays you wrote for this class, which essay do you find the most satisfying? (That does not necessarily mean the one that got the highest grade!) Why? Describe in detail your writing process for this essay. (Please be honest. I know that sometimes essays that you think about for two weeks, then write in the two hours before class can be amazing work—maybe not too often, but it’s possible.)
3. This semester you’ve been thinking and writing about curiosity, creativity, and persistence. Assess yourself in terms of these habits of mind. To what extent have you demonstrated them over the course of this semester, both as a writer and as a student, in this class and in at least one of your other classes? Give examples to support your assessment.
4. Has the use of technology in this class helped or hindered your development as a writer? Explain how and why. Please consider both the types of technology we’ve used and the use of the laptops during class time. If you have any suggestions about what I could have done differently or better in terms of tech use, please include that in your response.